Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted September 23, 2008

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Eureka Moments

Title: Favoring Fire

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the world is not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG.

Summary: Something about this town sunk its claws deep under Zane's skin when he wasn't looking. 400 words.

Spoilers: Eureka post-3.7 "Here Come the Suns"

Notes: Title is a reference from "Fire and Ice", the poem by Robert Frost.


The warm afterglow of the day's camaraderie and heroics doesn't last long; just about as long as it takes for burns sustained trying to open the superheated door of the cloud farm to start complaining in the rapidly chilling night air.

Zane winces at the intense pain in his arms, but for a long moment he doesn't make any effort to move. The stars above seem to glow all the brighter now that the second sun has been extinguished, glittering like diamonds scattered over black velvet; the sight makes him think of Jo, and wish she was there to see it with them.

When had that happened? When had he started writing her into all the corners of his life, whether or not she was actually with him? His biggest regret when Zoe's idiot of a boyfriend had locked them into the complex under Eureka hadn't been all things he would never do, never have, and never invent; he'd worried instead that he was going to leave her there without him. He hadn't expected that; that just wasn't who he was. He wasn't ready to be serious.

Except that, apparently, he already is.

He'd never intended to put down roots in this town. He'd come here in handcuffs, for crying out loud; he's used to big cities, instant gratification, and using his talents to cause problems for the authorities, not fix them. How he went from there to the head of his own department, boyfriend of a sexy, challenging officer of the law, and willing volunteer for possibly suicidal attempts to save the town, he has no idea. Maybe it's the adrenaline junkie in him-- but that doesn't explain the pride he felt when Carter shook his hand like an equal, or the way his stomach swooped when Jo curled up against him and said she'd rather he didn't risk his life.

Something about this town sunk its claws deep under his skin when he wasn't looking. He has no idea where it's going to take him next, and that fact scares him shitless. It could be the best thing that's ever happened to him-- but on the other hand, he's more vulnerable now than he's been in a very long time.

"Ready to go?" Carter asks, smiling tiredly.

"Yeah." Zane sighs, and wonders how long it'll take the buses to get back to town. "Yeah, I think I am."

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Serial Fiction (Other) | Fan Fiction Index


© 2008 Jedi Buttercup.