Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted September 17, 2010

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Eureka Moments

Title: A Blessing in Each Trial

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the world is not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG.

Summary: How many second chances did one man really deserve in a lifetime? 500 words.

Spoilers: Eureka 4.9 "I'll Be Seeing You"

Notes: Phew; this half of the season ended better than I feared it would!


How many second chances did one man really deserve in a lifetime? Jack couldn't even begin to guess at the answer to that question; but whatever it was, he was absolutely sure that he'd overdrawn his account that day-- and then some.

He traced a hand gently over the contours of Allison's side, skimming under the t-shirt she'd borrowed for nightwear, and watched the gentle rise and fall of her breathing. It had been hours since the mild painkiller she'd taken for soreness had eased her into sleep, but he hadn't yet been able to relax enough to join her; he'd just lain there, other hand propped under his ear, and absorbed her living presence. He could have lost her in the crash that afternoon--had lost her, for an infinitesimal yet immeasurable stretch of time-- and it was only thanks to his ridiculous timing in crashing the plans of Beverly Barlowe, of all people, that Allison hadn't ended the day in the morgue at G.D. instead of in his bedroom.

Well, and a little thanks to Grant, too, he admitted grudgingly.

What a mess. The cleanup from the day's events was only partially complete-- and would have to remain a little sketchy in the DOD's records, since it would be impossible to explain exactly what the shady group of scientists had wanted with the Bridge device and the other stolen thingamajig without getting into the story of their own time displacement. He hoped that didn't rouse even more suspicion-- but he supposed they'd just have to cross that bridge when they came to it.

It was almost, almost, enough to make him nostalgic for his days with the Fugitive Retrieval Task Force. No crazy scientists threatening the stability of the timeline. No former felons dating his daughter and breaking the heart of the woman he'd come to think of as a sister. No wrecking his car every other week, just about, due to some spectacular example of technology gone wrong. No robots dating his house, or putting out newborn suns, or letting someone remote control him through weird magnetic disturbances, or any one of the other bizarre life-endangering things he'd seen and done over the last four years.

But only almost; because this town had brought him so many wonders, too. Friends close enough to call family; family closer than they'd ever been before; triumphs and joys enough to balance out the disasters; and-- this. Her. Allison.

She might not be the love of his youth; but he was pretty sure she was going to be the love of the rest of his life. Which had almost, that day, been a very short amount of time.

She was worth it, though. And if there was one thing Eureka had taught him, it was how to make the most of second chances.

He leaned over to gently press his lips against her shoulder, then settled back against the pillow, letting the sounds of her breathing coax him down into dream.

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Serial Fiction (Other) | Fan Fiction Index


© 2010 Jedi Buttercup.